The healthcare community has been using medical gases for over hundred years. Oxygen saves lives in various settings and nitrous oxide has been used for anaesthesia and pain relief since 1844.
These are only some of the examples of gas technologies in medical practice:
- Liquid nitrogen is used for cryopreservation (cryogenic storage) of organs, body tissues, and blood products, cryosurgery (dermatology, minor surgery), and cryotherapy;
- Nitrous oxide is unrivalled basic solution for general anaesthesia;
- Oxygen plants are designated for people with chronic lung diseases;
- Carbon dioxide is used in cryogenic therapy and in performing gynaecologic and endoscopic examinations;
- Surgical diathermy and other kinds of surgery require using high-purity argon as for protective atmosphere;
- Gas sterilization with ethylene oxide compositions allows disinfecting medical equipment that can not be disinfected by high-pressure steam sterilization, x-ray sterilization and other conventional methods;
- Gas compositions with fluorine and hydrogen chloride are used for excimer laser in ophthalmology.
- Nitrogen oxide is used in gas composition with nitrogen for NO inhalation therapy of primary pulmonary hypertension in newborns and secondary pulmonary hypertension in adult patients.
Further information about medical application of gases may be found on our website in Medical Gases section and on the following dedicated Linde websites:
Healthcare – Gas Technologies
Linde Integrated Valve
Mobile gas therapy from a totally new perspective
Mobile gas therapy has never been easier and safer. The compact, lightweight cylinders, convenient design and use of integrated valve regulator for medical oxygen provide undeniable advantages. Easy to use. Gas pressure is precisely released in a broad range and always controlled allowing for precise flow settings to meet patient need.
Helps chronic patients to improve their life
The Homecare division of Linde Healthcare offers high-quality and cost-effective solutions to improve the quality of a patient’s daily life outside the hospital and even while travelling. Thanks to rapid developments in recent years, staying at home and living a normal life has become possible even with a serious condition such as late stage COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
Long Term Oxygen Therapy (LTOT) is the established standard treatment for patients with severe stage of COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and/or chronic stable hypoxemia. It has been proven that regular oxygen treatment can improve both quality and length of life for COPD patients. Clinical guidelines recommend that supplementary oxygen for COPD patients should be administered for more that 15 hours a day. With help from Linde Homecare, a stable patient can also be treated at home with oxygen therapy. New developments allow the patient a great deal of mobility and new quality of life. We can offer the patient the optimal medicinal oxygen therapy solution.
Gas Supply Systems
We supply not only gases for healthcare agencies.
For detailed information on gas applications in medical spheres see our web-site and Linde special web-sites: